Improving Opportunities Through Education
Doncaster is one of 12 areas in England chosen by the government as an Opportunity Area (OA), designed to unlock the potential of England’s young people through education. Each OA is government funded but led locally.
From a child’s early education to their post-16 learning, outcomes for disadvantaged children and young people in Doncaster are well below the national average.
Through working in partnership with local organisations, businesses, schools, and colleges, we aim to overcome these challenges – providing each young person with the chance to go as far as their talents and ambition will take them.
Doncaster’s plan is ambitious and targeted. It is delivering significant new investment to the area.
The plan identifies 4 priorities for action. We will:
- Narrow the attainment gap between disadvantaged and non-disadvantaged primary pupils in literacy and numeracy, giving all children the strongest possible start to their schooling
- Increase the number of good secondary school places so that every young person in Doncaster has access to high quality teaching and learning in a school run by strong leaders
- Help more of Doncaster’s young people to find the right academic and vocational routes for the careers they aspire to
- Take active steps to help the most vulnerable to access opportunities that will support them to succeed in and out of education
Underpinning the plan are 3 key enabling themes that are necessary to deliver our priorities successfully:
- Strengthening essential life skills.
- Teacher recruitment and retention.
A message from the Secretary of State for Education
“Everyone should be able to make what they can of themselves, and where they end up should not be dictated by where they began. This should be the case for every single person in Doncaster, regardless of their background or which part of the borough they have grown up in. No child should be trapped in personal circumstances that mean they cannot access mainstream society and opportunities.”
The website includes a section that provide schools in Doncaster with all the information about what they can access through the Doncaster Opportunity Area programme.
Schools located in the Doncaster Local Authority are able to access a number of fully funded and subsidised interventions ranging from: school improvement support, careers hub, extracurricular activities, teacher retention support and governance training.
Visit the website here: https://doncasteropportunityarea.co.uk/
- Category: General